Wednesday, March 18, 2009

'Ello! 'Ew alright?

(I found this post of Josh's in our list of posts and thought I'd publish it even though it's a few months old now. Hopefully Josh doesn't mind... -megan)

I'm changing the way I talk. I know, it's kind of weird, BUT I do it intentionally, and mostly just on specific occasions.

What has happened as of late is that I find myself in front of groups of people, specifically in front of groups of people where we say the same thing together (normally these moments are prayers, seeing as how I do work for a church and this does happen in churches after all). In those moments I find myself switching the way I speak, partially intentionally partially not, to a BBC English accent.

Mind you this isn't just a vowel or two. It's also not like calling a 'bathroom' a 'loo' or a 'cell phone' a 'mobile.' This is me fully changing the way I speak during group readings so that I sound like everyone else. I'm still not sure why I do it, nor do I really mean to do it, it just happened one morning. I guess after a year of working in my current job and leading people in these prayers, it just happened (maybe the clash between the my accent and everyone else's just got to me).

So now I fake it. Whenever I have to talk in sync with others, out it comes, and suddenly I say 'Gawd' instead of 'God'... does this make me a horrible person?

2 comments:

Emma said...

Funny - I used to catch myself doing the same thing during prayers when we were at All Angels. I used to find it quite good fun! Although I think you'll find it's us who say "God" and you who say "Gaad".

joshwall said...

I actually found that bit of transcribing difficult, how to you spell the different ways we (or perhaps the two different ways I say it?) say the word God. In my head I tend to say a pretty true to written form of God (doing my level best to avoid the Gaad of my youth) but the folks I knew in Durham rounded out the 'A' further, in my opinion, hence the Gawd. However, if I were have to somehow figure a New York/New Jersey (as say existed at All Angels) accent into the mix, it would get much more confusing. I'm not even sure how I'd try to write that rendition, perhaps Gawud? :)