Thursday, March 05, 2009

Kew Gardens (with the additional feature Name That Bird)

I just can't resist posting some more photos. While in London a few weeks ago, we visited Kew Gardens with our friends (and their lovely, new daughter!). Although I've forgotten most of the information from my countless hours of research, I once wrote a paper on glass and iron architecture, and these Victorian glasshouses got their own section. Needless to say, I had a wonderful time finally seeing them in person!

Also, name that bird! You'll know the one when you get to it. We have no idea what it is. Josh thinks a quail cross bred with a turkey...

See the rest...




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bird certainly is more colorful than "Bird". Seems to me I have seen such things in the zoo but I have no idea what it is called. Perhaps "Flicker Hen"???
Mom F

the blackwells said...

I believe that bird is called a guinea. See here -- http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/248888/guinea-fowl

megfeen said...

Ah, I think you're right, Heather! I've always wondered what a guineafowl is. OK, that's perhaps an overstatement, but I have skimmed over it when reading and just pictured some partridge-like bird in my head. Now I know.