Monday, April 21, 2008

If easter eggs don't wash their legs, their children will have ducks

They have a fantastic Easter tradition here, as commercial as it may be. Instead of the variety-packed Easter basket or chocolate bunny, the English give their children (or themselves, as in our case) giant chocolate Easter eggs. Every candy brand and sweet shop sells their own, ranging in size from a few inches to a foot or more high.



We waited until after Easter to catch the sales, and, um, then we bought three. They're part of an important cultural inquiry, after all.

See our egg photos...








A really big one:



















One with three little eggs inside another egg inside another egg, each individually wrapped and in a little purple bag (my favorite, I think.):














And one full of brightly-colored Smarties:



















It sounds like it used to be quite common to get other sweets inside your egg, but now the additional pieces tend to come separately in absurd amounts of packaging. Thus, we sought out those second two for their Russian-doll-like qualities, and they were our favorites. The only other problem we had was figuring out how to crack the things open. My husband, of course, used it as an excuse to grab a sharp object:






PS Name the song used in the post title, and we'll send you an easter egg! Well, (jennie,) it's probably too late for that, but I'll see what we can do.

8 comments:

E(Liz)a(Beth) said...

So I'm not going to be a cheater. My first thought was that it should be from the Llama Duck song that Josh introduced into my family, or at least Llama Duck, Round 2.

However, if you google that phrase, your lovely little bloggie comes up first. (Bloggie...is that the British version?)

megfeen said...

Very clever, Elizabeth- Google.

(I'm so proud we come up first, though.)

Unknown said...

"The Jeep song" It's an old camp song! What do I win!! I haven't won anything yet and I am the one storing most of your belongings...I may have to hold them hostage if I don't win one of these:)

Unknown said...

It was also played on Prairie Home Companion!!! I think I actually heard that one! It is an old girl scout song!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful nonsense song title to the post! I'm so jealous of the Easter egg booty. I would have bought one of those things if they weren't so big and breakable.

Big daddy deserves the prize for the song but for the uninitiated here's the song itself (at least the version I learned):
Oh I was born one night, one morn when the whistle went toot toot.
You can bake a steak or fry a cake when the mudpies are in bloom. Does six and six make nine?
Does ice grow on a vine?
Was old Black Joe and Eskimo in the good ol' summer time?
Oh, loop-dy loop in your noodle soup just to give your socks a shine.
I'm guilty fudge, I ate the judge. Three cheers for auld lang syne.
I cannot tell a lie. I hocked an apple pie. It's up a tree, beneath the sea, above the bright blue sky.
If Easter eggs don't wash their legs their children will have ducks.
I'd rather have a lemon pie than fourty-seven bucks.
Way down in Barcelonia, I fell into some foamia, if this is a bunch of bolognia, Petaruski blow your horn.

Most recently I entertained some little girls with that song while we were all stuck in the Delhi airport trying to get to Bangladesh. And Eddycoochicachicannatosaneratosanokasammacammawackybrown. Of course.

megfeen said...

Good work, young people. I'll see what I can do about Easter eggs (it's waaaay too late, but who knows... it's the Orthodox Easter now).

Anonymous said...

You have to be a proud mother when your college educated, PhD dgree, college professor daughter can come up with ALL the words to that song - learned at Grace Youth Camp when she was about 8 years old. Of course, how would we know if she just made some up?
Mom F

megfeen said...

Oh, I would know!!