Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Anti-nameacountry-ism

Another quick America post... hope this isn't too many all at once.

I just wanted to comment on a story from the NY Times today before it's old news. This article is about Chinese students dealing with growing anti-Chinese sentiment in the United States. I have been doing a lot of thought about anti-anything sentiment lately, and this struck a chord with me. It started with heading to countries like Vietnam and continues as we live in England. Europeans tend not to like Americans, and I've been surprised at the blatantly negative and rude comments I've received to my face simply because of my accent, my nationality. I was wondering if the same thing would happen in the United States if the tables were turned (the 'to my face' thing, behind my back is another thing entirely). I figured it would, but I wasn't sure, having never experienced it. Well, this article proves it to me. Despite your/my/their view of China (America), few things are either/or, good/bad, all/nothing in this world, including an entire country and its people.

I guess we are all human after all.

No comments: