Monday, November 05, 2007

First day of work

I took the train to Newcastle this morning for my first day on the job and couldn't help but compare it to my last real commute. That train ride up the Hudson River was much prettier, much cheaper, but much longer. That sounds much like the architectural conundrum of picking two of three possibilities: fast, cheap, and good. Only I just got one.

When I first arrived, I was immediately shown the two fire escapes and a handful of pamphlets about office health and safety standards. The English take this stuff seriously. It was otherwise a typical first day, a bit slow, a bit awkward, but alright. I spent my hours familiarizing myself with a project, browsing the office files for interesting tid-bits, and writing down unfamiliar or amusing "English" phrases to look up later. Thrilling.

5 comments:

E(Liz)a(Beth) said...

Wait...you got a job??

megfeen said...

Yup! I am working at an architecture firm in Newcastle. Of course, because I am not yet a licensed architect (that takes 3 years of professional experience and then a slew of exams in the states), I am considered some kind of Part 2 Student here. Same job. Less dignity.

megfeen said...

(But I am greatful. Soooo greatful. It looks like a great firm with some fantastic projects. I get paid a whole lot more than doing any other job I could find around here, and it takes me 25 minutes to get there. No complaints here.)

E(Liz)a(Beth) said...

That's fantastic! Congratulations. What type of firm is it?? (This is totally the new form of communication for our generation, btw. Writing a personal series of letters in a public forum, with no care who reads them. Ah, the folly of our collective youth!:)

megfeen said...

Actually, your response may not be atypical, so I figured that other people might want to know what I told you. That way I don't have to send out a big mass email. That's sooo yesterday. ttyl :)