Monday, December 08, 2008

the plight of the architect

I just wanted to make an announcement. I am, should the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards accept all the pages I recently mailed in, sixth-sevenths of the way done with my internship requirement.

Does this mean I become an architect in a few months? No. It means that after 4 years of undergraduate education in general studies (specifically engineering and art), 3 years of graduate study (although I think more if you count the number of waking hours spent working above the average grad student), and at least three years of working, I am allowed, yes, even encouraged, to sit for the 9 separate required exams (to become 7 in number in 2009). These must be taken all within 5 years of each other. When all have been passed successfully and paid for, then, with a bit more paperwork and a few additional fees, I can register as an architect.

That makes: 4 years uni + 3 years uni + 3 years working + 1-5 years testing
Here in England, it tends to be 3 years uni + 1 year out working + 2 year uni + 1 year working + 1 oral and (sometimes) 1 written exam.

Something doesn't look right there...

***
And just a side note on my personal mission to Educate the Public:

But at least you make lots of money to make up for all the effort, right?

Wellllll... maybe. Let me just dispel the myth a moment. The average architect's income is $58,000 per annum. (I've been searching and found numbers from $36,000 for newbies to this one- the highest I've seen- for all architects. This number is from here.) That's not bad. But that's not great either. At least it doesn't seem to be anywhere near what people must think it is judging by their facial expressions. And it doesn't seem nearly in line with other professions requiring a similar level of schooling (law, even medicine). Salaries also vary considerably based on where you are in the company and where you are in the country. And, while I'm at it, I think this line from the link listed above is apt: "I believe if a median hour/week figure were factored into this median salary, an architect would be paid the same as someone at dunkin donuts. "

Am I complaining? Yes. I admit it. I am. However, I also enjoy my job and, honestly, I like the respect it gets! I am amazed at the number of positive reactions I get when answering questions about my career. People find it interesting in a way that I am not sure I always do. But hey, I'll take it.

2 comments:

Paul said...

And us engineers think we have it rough...

My wife Christa(an interior designer, as a side note) and I have noticed that many TV commercials and movies use IDs and architects as main characters. They look so glamorous, which I bet leads to the general public thinking they're rolling in dough. Which is hardly the case, as you note...

megfeen said...

I know I shouldn't complain. It's not a bad salary, and I like my job anyway. Plus there are those architects who bring in hefty sums.

I just feel like most people think we make more judging by all those glamorous movie characters and tv adverts you're talking about and the comments I sometimes hear... I guess I should be grateful for the misunderstanding?