Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The place where I live

Let's be cheesy for a minute here. Life is all about growing, and growing means changing, learning, discovering. I've been thinking about my homes recently, the places where I've lived, what they've taught me and how they've changed me. Sometimes the changes weren't for the best, like the subtle refocusing inwards that resulted from the first three exhausting years of my time in New York. Other times, my eyes have been opened to new, perhaps better ways of doing things, like commuting to work via train rather than car. As Josh and I are still so transient, each place we've lived teaches us a little bit about where we'd like to live next, what that community looks like and what that home feels like. So here are some things I've learned about living places from the places I've lived. I'd love to hear some of yours!

Read the rest...
Zeeland, Michigan
Population 7,000
3500 sf
5 residents + 1-3 cats

-Living near family (and I mean extended family) is worth something. A lot of something.
-Living near fields and forest provides places for hide and seek and climbing trees.
-I like small towns.


Calvin College
Population 2,400 (on campus)
150 sf
2 residents + an unending cycle of multiple goldfish

-Living near friends is worth something, too.
-When those friends are your family (roomate+cousin), well, that's even better.


Oxford, England
Population 134,000
120 sf
2 residents

-Living in a city centre is quite enjoyable.
-I like rainy places.


Grand Rapids, Michigan
Population 198,000
1800 sf
4 residents

-My first commute, a 15 minute drive to Calvin College, was the beginning of a love-hate relationship. Living near work/school is important.


New York, New York
Population 8,000,000
290 sf
2 residents + an unending cycle of multiple mice

-I do not need as much space as I think I do. In fact, close quarters makes for closer relationships- there's no escaping.
-The direction your home faces is important- sunlight is a good thing.
-An easy way not to accumulate things you don't need is to not have the space for them in the first place.
-I can live cheaply even in expensive places, and there's little reason for me not to.
-Little markets and shops are so much more fun than big grocery stores.
-I like big cities.
-(Good) public transportation is just about the best thing ever.
-Laundromats stink.
-Long work hours and 2 weeks vacation stink, too.
-Just five years in a place can still get you awfully attached to it and the people you love there.


Granby, Colorado
Population 1,670
1800 sf
3 residents + Izzy the dog

-Mountains look fantastic from your bedroom window.
-Four wheel drive DOES have a place in the modern world.
-Shorter work hours provide for a much more enjoyable and stress-free home life.
-Avoid moving into a brand new place. Things never go perfectly smooth the first time and you have to deal with issues like no TV/phone/internet/radio signal all at once or strange leaks in your bathroom.
-Remote-ness is pleasant, but tiresome.


Many towns, Asia
Population lots
13 kg backpack space
1 resident

-I do not need as much stuff as I thought to live happily. In fact, the fewer the items, the easier the load.
-The world is big and beautiful, and each place has it's own unique advantages.


Durham, England
Population 29,000
700 sf
2 residents + the professor and vicar downstairs

-I am happy when my commute is happy.
-Clear country of origin labeling on every food product is a fantastic idea. Hm, perhaps that's a little off-topic.
-Weather affects my mood a lot more than I think it should. Also, I like four distinct seasons.
-Again, I like small towns.
-Again, (good) public transportation is just about the best thing ever.
-Again, living near family is worth something. I miss them!

No comments: