Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Things learned/learnt on the homefront...

1) In some parts of the world the weather in the morning is the same in the afternoon (even though I'd be impressed if weather was the same for 30 minutes in a row back in Durham).

2) Everything feels really big and spaced out here, housing lots, min-vans, SUVs. (I went to Sams Club to drop off film when we return and forgot that so many SUVs and Minivans carrying on 1-2 people could be in one place, doesn't that break a rule of physics somewhere?)

3) I always feel out of shape at home. Before it was normally during proper holidays (thanksgiving, Christmas, etc...) but now there is nothing going on and I still feel out of shape here.

4) I like Mexican food. If they don't have Mexican food in heaven heads will roll....

5) I miss not having a car or more precisely not needing a car. I don't like HAVING to drive to places in order to get around.

6) It is funny the occasional ways that the British/American-ness contrasts, the words that slip out (I still refer to a bathroom as a loo to Meg) and the occasional mistakes that are made (almost driving on the wrong side of the road).

7) It's nice to be around family.

8) Lake Michigan is simply wonderful... and unique. Everywhere else in the world water this big is called a sea but here its a glorious little lake...

1 comment:

E(Liz)a(Beth) said...

I still call it the loo. I think it's a much better word than toilet, bathroom or rest room.