Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Numbers

Well I’m done! While there is more that could be written it's not going to be and my dissertation (thesis for those of you in the states) offically completed and handed in... and to think it only took 5-6 months of work! Now, this is exciting for me but less so for everyone else, (who else really cares about your dissertation aside from yourself?) so in an attempt to make it more interesting I’ve included some numbers on it and some things I’ve noticed throughout this process.

- To begin I should say there are 63 books stacked in the picture.
See those numbers...

- My dissertation is about 14, 998 words long (my max was 15,000, whew!), that’s about 57 pages double spaced, not including cover page, table of contents, bibliography, etc…

- There are about 81,189 characters and 310 paragraphs.

- Because of the length of the thing that means I have 5 pages in footnotes (in about 200 citations) and a 6 page bibliography.

- If you include the sections/phrases/sentences of this paper I have cut, (5,032 words worth in major sections…I don’t delete my sentences in case I want to use/reference them again) that means I’ll have 19,962 or about 75 pages double spaced.

- I use the word ‘and’ 750 times

- I have 1,119 commas.

- There are 543 periods.

- Don’t forget the 13 semi-colons and 24 colons.

- The most reference book is Bryan Wilson’s Religious Sects which I cite 13 times

- If I am conservative on how long I've been thinking/reading/writing/revising this it's somewhere in the ballpark of 200 hours.

- I have drank about 700 cups of coffee and about 550 cups of tea while working on this thing (to make a conservative estimation).

- Its amazing how you can work on something for so long and not care about it by the time you hand it in; I’ve never felt so apathetic in regards to a deadline so large. I am turning in the culmination of 5 months of work and I’ll just be happy to be done with the thing. That's not to say that I'm not proud of it, I'm rather happy with it and glad I wrote it... but I'm largely happy to be done with it.

7 comments:

A blog about... said...

what's it about?

joshwall said...

It's about sects and how they use religious texts to create identity that is separate from their context, how those religious texts serve to divide themselves off from the world and create a sense of isolation (comparing an ancient Jewish sect and a Mormon Sect).

Graham said...

So what is next now that this milestone is past?

busy mom of 4 said...

Congratulations!! Now you need to come home!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see you...even have 2 soccer games for you to go to if you would like on Saturday!

waldo said...

Love the picture and congratulations on getting it done.

Nick said...

Hey, congrats! That's a big milestone.

Anonymous said...

Yippee! Congratulations!!
That is quite an accomplishment. I certainly know the feeling about just being glad it is finished, and not really being particularly interested in the subject any longer. Whew!!!