Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Megan has a favorite paragraph in my dissertation...

And this is it.

With the methodology and primary objectives of this essay mentioned, it is worthwhile to turn and address the first of two ... that being the group associated with .... However, before such analytical work can proceed, it is important to provide the necessary context within broader .... Additionally, it is vital to note that any notion of .... In fact some scholars assert .... Such observations are important and vital for this essay, given its concern for... and as such....

(Note from Megan: I just went ahead and removed anything that was worthwhile in that paragraph. I read Josh's entire dissertation as part five of my six-year campaign to convince Josh that people do and should be judged in life based solely on their grammar skills, and I am now familiar with a very common Josh Tactic. When he gets bored, tired, or just plain lazy while writing, he tends to find something he likes and run with it. It usually takes me about three sentences to spot It, and It has varied from the phrase 'in order to' to excessive semicolons to the overuse of the word ‘sectarian.’ Each paper will have its own It. This time It was transitions. As demonstrated above, he had entire paragraphs of transitions. Fascinating. Luckily, Josh is confident enough in his ideas (which are usually pretty good) to take my heat and post this.)

Rebuttal from Josh: I view my papers more as a game of hide and seek, I pick a writing quirk and see how many I can add into the essay, so Megan has something to do while thumbing through 15,000 words of prose... :) I've also been trying to convince Megan that the vast majority of people do not have flawless grammar and she has to get, and her quirky brain, to accept that most of us can't recite the MLA handbook from memory.

Regardless... the above mentioned paragraph is not my best, but what's one paragraph out of three hundred anyway?

2 comments:

eeverman said...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(Note from Megan: I just went ahead and removed anything that was worthwhile in that paragraph. I read Josh's entire dissertation as part five of my six-year campaign to convince Josh that people do and should be judged in life based solely on their grammar skills, and I am now familiar with a very common Josh Tactic. When he gets bored, tired, or just plain lazy while writing, he tends to find something he likes and run with it. It usually takes me about three sentences to spot It, and It has varied from the phrase 'in order to' to excessive semicolons to the overuse of the word ‘sectarian.’ Each paper will have its own It. This time It was transitions. As demonstrated above, he had entire paragraphs of transitions. Fascinating. Luckily, Josh is confident enough in his ideas (which are usually pretty good) to take my heat and post this.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Megan, I am a sudden, new convert to the Life-Worth Based Solely on Grammar Skills club (LWBSGS)! Please defend and/or explain the following usages:

-- The use of parenthesis around something labeled as a note.
-- "I just went ahead and..." is weakly phrased. How would you improve it? Is the usage of "anything" as opposed to "everything" strictly correct in this case?
-- "...people do and should be judged..." seems to have a tense problem. Can you spot it?
-- "...and I am now familiar with a very common Josh Tactic." Did you mean to use a colon here?
-- "...something he likes and run with it." Comments?

Lets talk at Christmas!

--Eric :-)

Anonymous said...

Eric, you have amazing grammatical abilities. Did you ever consider becoming an editor? :)

There is something to be said however about educated people being able to express themselves with accepted and proper language.