Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympics

Well, now that the Olympics have begun in full force, I've noticed a couple of things, (mostly because they are on in the morning when I'm stalling the work I should be doing) about them. I've always enjoyed the Olympics but it's different watching it here in the UK. So here are some thoughts...

1) It's a little weird to watch the Olympics where the country you live in is rooting for other people. They commentators just keep talking about all the British athletes and hometowns which, while not surprising, just feels a little disconcerting.

2) It's a lot of fun to watch/cheer for a country that doesn't have as many folks playing in the games. Mind you the UK isn't lacking in athletes and will finish in the top 10 countries but there don't feel to be as many athletes or they don't seem to be in sports I expect. This morning I've already watched Mixed doubles badminton, men's judo, and men's C1 kayaking, huh?

3) Because its feels like there are less, it also seems as though they follow every athlete in ways that they don't in the states. Its more like an everyone has they 5 minutes of fame kind of thing... and I like that.

4) The commentators here take their job quite seriously, lots of emotion (as far as the British go) and they apparently find the sports they comment on much more exciting than I do. I've heard several exclamations of 'riveting,' 'thrilling' and 'amazing' on things I didn't find nearly so. But maybe that's something all sports casters do or at least the way they appear to the apathetic.

5) Go USA! (or UK, but I've always rooted for English speaking nations...)

No comments: