Monday, July 07, 2008

See our 'post' about the lakes (and by post I really mean mostly photos with a couple of comments thrown in... )

So we recently took a short trip to the glorious Lake district, and I have to say it lived up to what I hoped it could be. The lakes aren't really known for their fine weather (they are known as having the most rain in England and I had several people tell me, 'It always rains in the lakes.'), but for whatever reason the weather worked out quite well for us. It was just a short weekend excursion with some American friends before they head home... but it was simply a lovely weekend.

And for those of you itching to know all those in-depth kinds of things that are supposed to be in travelogues... read about the Lake District here (I never really like writing those posts, so I'll just reference the people who write them when they get bored at work).
See the rest and read Josh's comments on photos...


This is a 3,000 year old stone circle outside of a town called Keswick (pronounced kes-ick, for those of you not familiar with the British trend for dropping Ws). It's funny to wander around these things because it's not as though they are that impressive in their own right... until you remember their age. But they were kind of fun to climb around on... until I saw the sign asking you not to on the way out. Oops! (In my defense I saw kids doing it when we arrived and I thought, 'why not?')


An Indian resturant in Keswick... we always thought the prominence of the 'Fully Air Conditioned' signs on restaurants in India was funny... until we began to seek out restaurants with those signs. But why do Indian restaurants feel they need to advertise AC in this part of the world? 100-degree India? Yes! The 55-degree Lakes? No! Do they just think it should be part of the experience?




The lake district is also known for its dry stone walls (and there are tons of them). They just cut around, up and through whatever they want...

Isn't my wife cute? I think so.
The Lakes is also well-known for its 'walks.' We'd call them hikes in the states, and I could never tell if I liked or disliked that they are called walks here. In some ways it feels more accurate because you really are just walking up a small mountain, and I expect hikes to involve... well, a more arduous journey. We did a short walk called 'Catbells,' and here is a photo along the ridge up.

A view from the ridge. Simply beautiful as the sun came out. It wasn't as cold as our gear looks- just windy!

Doesn't it look like we are in front of a green screen? (get it green screen? And it's green behind us? Comic genius I tell you, why aren't I famous yet?)
Flowers. Called something nice and flowerey I'm sure ...

I love our macro lens; who knew those things had hair on the inside of them?
A view of Catbells from our B and B. Simply lovely. Also, while we don't have a picture that captures it well, we stayed in a 17th century farm house that was converted to a B and B. I am still amazed that I can spend the night in houses that are older than my country here!

P.S. This is for you Queenie Tong. That piece of fish was huge! Look at it in contrast to the pint, simply massive!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the flowers are foxgloves - otherwise known as digitalis. They are spectacular!
Mom F

megfeen said...

hey I knew that, Josh! Oh well. His post, his information... thanks, mom! :)

Unknown said...

Good job Meg! Go for the BIG PLATE! :) I'm so proud of you! hahaha...

joshwall said...

That was my chunk of fish... please note I took the picture BEFORE I took a bite out of it. That's all for you Q.