Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Celsius Has Played a Cruel, Cruel Trick on Me.

When we first moved here, I was a little confused by the whole Celsius-Fahrenheit thing as, after our Asia trip, my knowledge of Anders' scale was limited to the upper regions of human comfort. I think the only times it got much below 30C (86F) were in Sapa, Vietnam and Darjeeling, India, two hill stations where we blissfully shivered away our afternoons. But I thought I had it roughly figured out. I know from Hanoi and Jaisalmer that 40C is hot, from Darjeeling that a rainy 17C is cool, that (after some practice) 35C isn't overly comfortable in the humidity, but I can handle it. And now I understand that a winter here means single digits, and that's not really that cold.

Read the rest... and see megan's fantastic, time-wasting creation.
But now that July is here, I keep getting frustrated by the teens announced on the weather. They don't sound too bad- it was 17 those two days in India, for goodness sake- but when I go outside... well, let's just say I've gotten a bit grumpy. And I'm not even a big hot-weather girl. So today I looked up the average temperatures in Durham. In Fahrenheit.

Have I mentioned before that THE AVERAGE MONTHLY HIGHS IN THIS DAMNED PLACE NEVER, EVER HIT 70F? Have I? Because let me just tell you that July peaks at 68 and the rip-roaring month of August, typically the wilter, the sweat-inducer, the I-can't-wait-for-winter month in temperate climates, just squeezed by 67. Sorry for the language. I'm a little upset.

Sigh.

After realizing just how long my 'summer' was going to be, I couldn't help but chuckle at the crazy extreme (and anti-extreme) climates we've encountered over the last 18 months. We'd waited for a bus in -30C (or F, same thing at that point), sat through monsoon downpours in +30C (86F), splurged on AC in 45C (113F), and drank some tea at this unending 13 (55). So to cheer myself up (no, I don't want to know what this says about me), I looked up the monthly average temp of all the places we were in and made this handy chart of Josh and Megan's Personal Average Monthly Temperatures:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Megan, I can sympathise! The North of England doesn't really get great weather, does it? London isn't much better but at least we get the occasional hot day - Tuesday was 28 degrees for example - get the bikinis out! I miss the hot New York summers, I used to love it. I had the reverse problem to you - converting C to F. Again I mastered the very hot and the very cold (LOVE it when it's above 80 or below 30) but it's all a bit hazy now.

By the way, this will make you jealous but we spent last week in Sardinia, Italy, where the temperature seemed to be an average of about 35 C. Lovely...

And I have a tan!

Sorry x

Beth said...

Ugh! I will never forget the summer/fall we spent in London when temps spiked to 102F for a week or so!!! It was an all-time record high!!! Just our luck! The next weekend, we took a trip to Edinburgh and the highlands, and it was 40F the entire time! We had to buy coats...very VERY weird. What a strange island!

megfeen said...

What's funny is that I DO NOT miss those hot days in New York. The hot rush to the subway, the even hotter platform, the stream of sweat literally rolling down my front and back. I hated arriving at work feeling and looking like that!

That being said... I miss a CHANGE in weather! I miss short sleeves!