Monday, December 03, 2007

Made in America

I don't feel as though I eat a ton of pre-packaged food, nor do I gravitate to it. I grew up in a house with some canned or boxed items but little junk food or processed snacks in the pantry (I enjoyed the cupboards of my friends' houses immensely). I've never been an overly picky eater, and I tend to think I am willing to try just about anything. In fact, I search out the strange stuff on the menu every so often, resulting in such events as The Thai Sundae (mmm…. creamed corn and ice cream) or The Durian Moon Cake. I thought our 5 months abroad was a great opportunity to try some local dishes, and I tried to pick the items well-known for that area.


However, here I find an unusual number of packaged items catch my eye at the grocery store, and inevitably they are labeled somewhere as "American style" or "an American favorite". Who knew my tastes were so colloquial?

4 comments:

ms said...

hey josh
sorry this is unrelated to "made in America" but was just writing the following again in the hope that you will get this. I sent the following email to you in response to your phone call which I was bummed not to be able to take, good luck

josh
got your message. fire away to the pastor and i will say such glowing things about you that he will hire you to be his boss

milind

joshwall said...

Milind,

Thanks for the note. I also just wanted to say that I loved this little effort in overkill, funny to get the same message via, email, facebook, and our blog... maybe that also makes some kind of comment about the being too connected? Or maybe that I checked all three of those sites within about 5 minutes of each other, says that...

megfeen said...

c'mon, guys. stay on topic here.

:)

Anonymous said...

The only thing worse than bleepin packaged American tv dinners is bleepin fish and chips.