Monday, April 13, 2009

Gone shopping

(With plenty of other posting options, this post is a few weeks past its due date. It was supposed to have a photo from Michigan in it and that just never happened. Funny to write about Durham while no longer there. Oh well. One last one before we get to our European roadtrip. Read away!)

Other than a few years membership in a co-op where we obtained bulk goods in absurdly large quantities, my family did its grocery shopping at Huizenga's, the local grocery store on Main Street. It wasn't large by American standards, but certainly stocked almost everything a Michigander could want or need. Quite a few years ago now, it was bought by a chain, and although the name over the door changed, everything else primarily stayed the same. Then it was bought by another chain. And then that chain built a brand new store one and a half miles outside of town in one of those areas surrounded by beige look-alike 90's subdivisions with roads that curve for no reason and names like Sunset Meadows and Waverly Bluffs. And that was the end of Huizenga's. I was reminded of this fact when I saw the sad, empty building on our Christmas visit. A very small amount of interior partitioning has been done, and it looks like something strip mall-esque is on the books.

I recall feeling a nostolgic sadness when the store first closed. I fondly remembered the swans and ducks in the retaining pond next to the parking lot, the tall carts the teenagers used to carry out our groceries, and the lanky balding man, a store manager (owner even?), who always smiled through his neatly trimmed beard and said hello although I don't recall if he and my mother knew each other by name. Now, having been forced to change my shopping habits the last few years through non-car-ownership, city living, extreme budgeting, traveling, and the tiniest refridgerator you've ever seen, my sadness has grown into frustration and disbelief.

Read the rest...
Six thousand people live in my hometown of Zeeland. Yet I find it puzzling that a grocery store couldn't be supported in its lovely, walkable city center. My sister lives in downtown Zeeland and drives 5.3 miles to a grocery store that tends to be cheaper than the 1.7 mile option. I don't know that she would want to walk and then carry the food she needs to feed her family of six on a regular basis, but the option would be there. People all over the world do it daily. Speaking as someone who has lived in some drastically different places in the last few years, it's amazing what you get used to and what becomes normal.

Less you think this is solely an American dilemma, we have a similar situation here in Durham. There are two enormous grocery stores a few miles outside of Durham proper, while the one store in the city centre closed last August. Around the same time, a Tesco Express opened, Tesco being like Walmart and Express meaning a 7-11-size store jam-packed with all the essentials, all-be-they rather student-oriented ones. There is still the covered market where, along with an incredibly odd assortment of hair clips, overstocked make-up, cheap sweaters, and yarn, there still exists a butcher, a fishmonger, a cheese booth, and a green grocer. If one could find a more consistent place for bulk goods than the Weigh and Save, which has closed and reopened no less than five times since we've lived here, the city centre may provide enough to get by. As all these shops close promptly at 5pm, most employed people would have to save their shopping for the weekends.

What we do, though, is spend our £5 bus fare to the grocery stores on delivery instead. Order online and have your groceries delivered to your door. It's a fantastic luxury I thought only existed in New York. And since the food is delivered to and stored in warehouses, it's actually considered by many to be more efficient, greener one could say, than heading to the grocery store individually.

Now what's in downtown Zeeland that could provide such foodstuffs? There's a seed store, a jewelry shop, a few artsy gift shops and a floral shop. The coffee shop just closed, I hear, although the bakery, community restaurant, and diner could maybe get you by for a week if you chose to solely dine out. The lovely post office is still there and still small town-y. It just seems to me that cities exist to efficiently concentrate goods and services for those who live in them. They make things convenient. So what's with moving basic services to the peripheries of those cities and forcing everyone to transport themselves back out to find them? It all just seems silly, doesn't it?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It **is** silly. It's just that there are few people in places like Holland or Zeeland that realize that driving a personal automobile **everywhere** isn't normal human behavior.

Unfortunately, we've got 50+ years of ass-backwards infrastructure to undo. Since most people are still plenty happy with driving their SUV from the cul-de-sac to Wal*Mart, I don't see things around here improving anytime soon.

It was actually encouraging to see people making smarter choices in response to $4/gal. gasoline last year. Maybe another summer of that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

A blog about... said...

I remember Huizingas. When I was a kid, whenever I got any money, I'd ride my bike there to buy candy. And then I'd stop at the Dairy Y on the other side of the pond to get a pack of baseball cards and fireballs (which cost 5 cents each).

busy mom of 4 said...

Hmmm...would I walk and carry enough food to feed my entire family for a week? Maybe! I have these great new reusable bags...which I love...and today used only 5 of them to get a weeks worth of groceries. So...you are very thought provoking and make me smile when I think of all the places that I walk to. Oh, they opened a new coffee shop in Zeeland a few weeks ago and we now have a toy store and a children's clothing store!

Unknown said...

I wish we had an in-town grocery option (and you really should compare Zeeland to Orange City too). However, since groceries are an every week type of thing, I can't justify spending 25-30% more on groceries just to save a drive. I can handle doing that for say the hardware store, since those purchases are more occasional in nature. By the way, Zeeland Hardware is getting ready to open in part of the old Huizenga's. They will have roughly 3-5 times more inventory than they currently have downtown, but will still maintain the downtown location as well.

Matt

Anonymous said...

I still miss Huizenga's. It was a much better grocery than the current choice. And I have often pondered why a town of 6000 people can't support two grocery stores. Seems strange to me, but what do I know of economics? The habits of those living in towns in the US are such that shopping every day for your food seems very strange. On the other hand, from my observation of Josh and Megan's life in NYC and Durham, US habits of shopping only weekly - or less -seem very strange to city dwellers who depend on public ransportation.
I think it would be lovely to be able to buy locally (no driving)and buy locally grown foods. And my bike does have a large basket for transporting such things...
Mom F