Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sun starved

A few weeks ago I read an article that told me that I was probably a stronger baby than Josh because I was born in the summer to his autumn, and my mother had probably absorbed more sunlight and, as a result, converted more vitamin D for me, her unborn baby, than Josh's mother, but that's not too shocking; we already knew who would win in a brawl. This was the line that dropped my jaw for a minute there:

In winter months at latitudes of 52 degrees north (above Birmingham), there is no ultraviolet light of the appropriate wavelength for the body to make vitamin D in the skin, research shows.

Oh dear, oh dear. Birmingham is a long way SOUTH of here! Makes me feel like this lovely flower I got from a friend for Christmas. Photo one- taken at 10pm. Photo two- taken the next morning at 7:30 am as the sun is barely beginning to peak through our window. That is one desperate plant. I'm with you, Paperwhite; oh, how I'm with you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!! It is cold and rainy today...I just feel like going back to bed.....but, did see the sun yesterday!! It was lovely!

Beth

Anonymous said...

The latitude of West Michigan is 43 degrees North. That's not much better for the vitamin D.

megfeen said...

I should probably quote my source...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7161458.stm

Anonymous said...

Which only goes to show us that all people who live in the north should vacation in the south in the winter. Oh, and drink lots of milk which is fortified with Vit D (at least it is in the USA.
But spring is coming and then we get LOTS of opportunity for Vit D absorption. :)
Mom F