Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Josh makes the pancakes in our relationship.

This post has little to nothing to do with England, Asia, "growing up", traveling, etc. but the inedible black object I am gnawing on is prompting me to write and post anyway.

If I had to choose one pet peeve (Brits: pet hate) about myself it just might be my attention span. I sometimes call myself "easily distracted", but that probably gives the wrong idea. It's not that I can't concentrate on something, more like the opposite. If something else catches my eye (and something always is), my eye will stay there, along with my whole head, body, brain... until the task is finished or until I remember that there was something else I was doing.

I'd like to think I am a decent multi-tasker, but maybe this indicates otherwise. Still, I think part of my academic strength and skill as an architect is due to my ability (personal necessity, more like) to study and understand all the options before taking a direction in a way that many people are not able to manage (including my husband). This is partly why shops with too large a selection are overwhelming. I also don't like the fact that there might be another store within walking distance that might sell the same thing for 10p less. (Durham has way too many pharmacies, for example.) Maybe that's just being cheap, but it does prove that my brain at least attempts to take it all in at once. This also (vaguely) relates to why I am always running for the train or turning up my nose at arriving early to a movie (yes, I'm making excuses, Josh). My brain wants to be occupied at all times, and while a fairly patient person, I hate idly waiting- I'll find something else to do.

I am sure I can think of other self-peeves, but this one is the most pressing as I stare at the inedible fire hazard the left-over pizza I put in the oven, oh say, a blog post, an email, and a clean sink ago, has become. That's why Josh makes the pancakes in this relationship, and I make the 3-hour stew.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So perhaps it is a good thing to have figured out who makes the pancakes and who makes the 3 hour stew. AS long as you each stay within your own realm of expertise (and the other person stays out) all should be well. But you do have to recall that there are other members of your nuclear family who have the same traits (think older male paternal figure). So perhaps you could blame it on your genes. By the way, you made me laugh out loud!!
Mom F

megfeen said...

I replied via email, but I want to quick comment on something anyway. Mostly just to state that you've opened my eyes, Mom, to a whole other area where I may be becoming my parents. Scary. It really does make me look at it with a different perspective, though. Funny how certain traits manifest themselves in different but similar ways.

Poor, poor, Josh.