Monday, June 16, 2008

Stuff

Our blog is mostly about our experiences, encounters and interactions as we've taken off to travel and do a-typically American things. We don't talk about politics, religion, and many other parts of our lives. However, part of our experience in this last 1.5 years has been dealing with all our stuff. We have things in Iowa, things in Michigan, things in the back of a truck; we still have unused wedding gifts new in the box (going on five years old at this stage).
Read about more stuff...
I think the idea of all our stuff came into play vividly when we moved out of New York and filled most of a small moving truck and I thought, "We live in less than 300 sq. feet, how do we have so much crap?" right as a friend of ours, Anthony, came up and said, "Josh, how did you get so much crap in such a small place." I like to think that we weren't very materialistic, didn't buy more than what we needed (by much) but as I looked into that truck I knew I was wrong and there was bound to be crap in there I didn't need... or even really want.

Anyway, I've been thinking about our stuff as of late, due to the continually unfolding nature of our lives, all our unused/hardly used stuff when I ran across this flash movie around the same time and decided to share. The movie itself isn't amazing with stunning animation but is just a fairly straightforward story about our stuff. It takes about 20 minutes to run the whole thing, though you can skip around, and is worth a look if you have a few minutes.

This is the part where I'm supposed to add some witty and insightful commentary... but y'all can think for yourselves and what you think about stuff and this movie. Or watch it here in its original context.

2 comments:

megfeen said...

Ironic that Josh is writing this just as I am bemoaning the fact that my summer wardrobe seems awfully slim due to the fact that half of it is going out of style without me in a box in my sister's attic. And I bought more shoes this weekend.

Still, I agree. We have a lot of 'crap'.

Anonymous said...

I read something related in the Time magazine last week. This guy is getting rid of stuff so that he has only 100 things. The article is short and has a link to his blog, which apprently has a following: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1812048,00.html

I contemplated this as I was folding clothes the other day. I'm not sure I could do 100 things because 15% of those things would be underwear. Even so, I also have too much stuff.