Thursday, May 22, 2008

I'll take my mid-size Boots in Durham, thank you.

Boots is a fantastic store. Nothing quite like it exists in the USA. I think it is to CVS, Duane Reade, or RiteAid what the British Accessorize is to Claire's (if those two can even be compared)... it just steps things up a few notches. And while I like it, I think I've found my limits. We have a decent size Boots in Durham and another little outlet closer to our flat, but I found myself being directed to 'The Big Boots' one day after work in Newcastle last week.

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

I admit that Josh and I aren't huge contributers to the local economy with our consumption patterns. We are too busy saving for some random trip (what? retirement? children? college funds? what are those?) to go out and spend, much less let the desire to buy new things come out to play very often. Our budget trip through developing countries for five months last year didn't help that, and I don't think I've yet completely recovered. We also do our grocery shopping online, so I feel like I really don't 'get out' much.

But still. I'm American; I can handle this, right?
Wrong. I was completely overwhelmed. I remember the look on our 17-year-old Hungarian exchange student's face in 1994 when we first took her down the grocery aisles of an American big-box store. It was a mixture of awe, disgust, and confusion. Now imagine two full floors of pharmacy. Yes, to a lesser degree, I now understand you, Zsuzsa.

Do I REALLY need 34 different brands of shampoo each with 4-14 product lines to choose from (I counted)? Do I? Are there really that many distinct and beneficial chemical and herbal combinations to be had? If there are only two colors of bandaids (plasters) produced, what makes them think there are 476 unique hairtypes and how do I find the right one? I came in for three things: hair conditioner, soap, and foundation (makeup). I am not an overly speedy decision maker in general, and faced with that many aisles (yes, aisleS) of hair products, I almost broke down. Since I wasn't after a favorite, it took me a full hour and a half to parse through the products, finding the right combination of thrift, luxury, attractive packaging, and promising text. I finally ended up choosing based on what was on sale (Boots does have nice sales) and pointing my exhausted feet to the cashier.

No more. While I appreciate what my wealth can give me, I simply don't need that much choice. I won't be back.

4 comments:

waldo said...

Oh my gosh, Meg! As I am the same type of shopper as you, I would be overwhelmed as well. You did make me laugh and feel frustrated for you at the same time. I am glad that after an hour and a half you chose something and didn't leave empty handed. Have a good weekend. It is pool and pond weekend for us and we wish you were here to help with all of those little tadpoles.LFAA, Mom

Anonymous said...

Megan, you are so funny! I must say, when we were in the US and my British friends asked me what I missed about the UK, more often than not I would answer "Boots!". Or Accessorise! Oh dear... maybe that reveals quite how much more shopping I do than you. Anyway, I LOVE Boots. I have to restrict myself though I can easily lose and hour and a half in there like you did. The big shops even sell toys, gifts, baby clothes, swimming costumes,... I could go on and on. Ooh, I may even pop in on my way home today.

Top tip - if you shop there regularly you should get yourself and Advantage card. The best customer reward card there is!

Oh dear.

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing you both next weekend!
x

the blackwells said...

I've lived here for 22 months now...and have never stepped foot into a Boots. I think I'm very ok with that. :)

megfeen said...

Yes, emma, this Boots had baby prams (strollers!) and swimming costumes (bathing suits!) and unending everything else.

I do like Boots, just not that store. I can't handle that much all at once! And, Heather, I do think you can get cheaper stuff elsewhere, but Boots does have good sales. Especially all those Christmas hampers (gift baskets!) and all that after the holidays...

(And I do love Accessorize, except I don't remember it being so expensive when I lived here 7 years ago. Guess my tastes/budget have changed. That and the exchange rate. And have you noticed that it's spelt (spelled!) with a Z?!?)