Tuesday, October 07, 2008

What's in a name

So there are funny names all over the place (for example I grew up next to Paris, Michigan and have visited both Hell, Michigan and Paradise, Michigan... none of which lived up to their name by the way) and England has proven no exception. Whilst such a list could be rather long and exhaustive, this one isn't and just contains some odd names that we've seen. Ok most of them really just show up on one of the nightly news weather reports and I think they make it just because they are weird.

Lemonhead

Yarm

Langthwaite

Pity Me (seriously)

Ingoe.

Sharpton.

Hurt 'n Rab (still serious)

Ireshopeburn

Hartburn

Rockhope

Redmirt

Tweedmouth

Spital Toungues

Netherton

and my personal favorite, Staindrop.

3 comments:

busy mom of 4 said...

Great names! My favorite on my way to Louisiana was Smut Eye just down the road from Burnt Corn.

abigail said...

I am partial to Pity Me. Always a tug on my heart strings..

To busy mom of 4, those are hilarious.

megfeen said...

Those are funny, Beth! I feel like we need to thank Eric for suggesting this post. Um, thanks, Eric! I think you mentioned a few other funny ones, but since Josh wrote this, I forgot to pass them along. Plus there are just so very many amusingly named English cities... it just might come up again sometime.